LCN is easy to install, insensitive to external disturbances and realizes a lot of functionality with only a few modules. LCN is able to control buildings of all sizes, from a private home to a high-rise office building.
How does a usual installation of LCN look like?
The smallest possible LCN installation would be one LCN module, for example an LCN-UPP, with additional operating interfaces like an IR receiver or a glas touch terminal, for example an LCN-GT3. The module is connected to the houses main power, loads like fixtures or motors are connected to the bus module. One wire of the power installation serves as communication path for the modules.
A coupling module LCN-PKU is also connected to the bus, in most cases temporarily. A PC with the LCN-PRO software allows parametrizing of the system, definig which actions will be taken in which conditions. The starter set LCN-MKO has more than only the most necessary parts of an LCN system and enables a fast and simple introduction to LCN.
Which distances are possible with LCN?
The LCN bus can be extended up tp 1,000 meters. Up to 250 modules can be connected to this single segment. As sensors, glass touch terminals or relay blocks are connected to these modules, the effective number of components and data points is much higher. For a very space-saving installtion for example a relay block LCN-R8H is connected to the DIN-rail module LCN-SH. This results in ten outputs and the possibility to connect eight push buttons with only one bus module. If greater diatnaces or more modules are needed, the bus can be splitted in segments which are connected with segment couplers. With fibre optics the bus can be extended to 30 kilometers.
Where are the limits of an LCN installation?
An installation in a private home can consist of only a few modules, together with some sensors and touch terminals. Complex installations in graeter plants may have up to 30,000 modules with more than 500,000 data points. The distance between modules can be few centimeters, or several hundred meters without necessary couplers or amplifiers. With fibre optics the LCN bus can be extended to up to 30 kilometers. Besides thousends of private homes the Maintower in Frankfurt, one of the largest buildings in Germany, was realized with LCN.
Does LCN require a special wiring?
In contrast to other automation systems LCN does not require special cabling. A standard NYM cable with an additional wire is layed, for example 4 x 1.5 mm2. In fact, standard five-wire cables are used and one wire remains for other purposes. No extra cabling is required for the LCN bus. The data line is used as any other power line and can be routed with the main supply regarding VDE. The LCN modules do notz need an extra power supply, the are connected to the main power directly.
What are the benefits of LCN?
- By combining sensor and actor functionalities, LCN requires only few modules.
- Only few rules for design are to respect.
- Clear and transparent bus topology.
- Easy to maintain by an electrician, no special knowledge required.
- Uses traditional push buttons, motion detectors etc.
- Extendable up to 60.000 sensord and actors.
- Powerful and effivcient, no loss of data in large-scale plants.
- Reliable feedback for all commands.
- Widely adaptable to the customer’s cost expectations.
- High intelligence and functionality.
- LCN is in the top range of installation busses regarding transmission capacity.
- LCN offers unrivalled functionality per module. Thanks to this flexibility LCN adapts to all building types and demands of customers.
- As the only bus system LCN has a four-stage command and acknowledgement system and allows very reliable installations with a wide range of control.
- Due to the high integration LCN is less expensive than other systems and lowers the entrance level for an installation.
- LCNs simple installation is unmatched and its programming is very easy. This helps the electrician and the designer. It also helps the customer, his main contact is his local electrician, not a specialist far away.
With witch other system can LCN interconnect?
LCN is an open system and can be integrated in existing infrastructures. As an open bus LCN allows coupling with other interfaces like BACnet®, Modbus®, OPC, BMA Bosch, IOS, IP-Symcom® or EnOcean®.
Are there trainings and support offered for LCN?
Three training types are offered for LCN. A fundamental training gives basic knowledge for LCN. An intermediate training provides more details an deals with more complex topics. There is one additional training for the visualization LCN-GVS. Also available are trainings for teachers and wholesalers. More on our training pages.
The ISSENDORFF KG has two hotlines for support. A technical hotline helps with installation, technical realization, troubleshooting and parametrization over the whole day (Middle European time zone). Another hotline support in installation plannuíng and cost calulation, also shows distrubutors für LCN nearby.
Is LCN a performant bus system?
The Local Control Network runs with a very high transmission rate, even based on standard wiring. If many modules are used, the bus can be split into segments, so communication will be reduced on those areas that exchange the major part of data. With 1,000 to 10,000 datagrams on the top level and 100 datagrams on the lower level LCN is in the top range of installation busses regarding transmission capacity.